Thursday 25 July 2013

Taking inspiration from Cristina Otero's watermelon self portrait

This is one of Cristina Otero's watermelon self portraits. I really like how the watermelon takes the shape of the mouth, and how the red of the watermelon is reflected in the red of the eye shadow. The dots across the nose and over the eyes also reflect the pips in the watermelon, which is something I think works really well.

Here I created my own version of Cristina Otero's watermelon self portrait, using a cantaloupe melon instead. I adopted the pale green with darker green design of the melon, and applied it to the models eyes, as Otero did in her portrait. I added black dots around the eyes t reflect the pips in the melon. I think the melon against the cheek works well, as otherwise it will block out too much of the models face, where it's the eyes that should be the focus point not the melon.


No comments:

Post a Comment